Our closets can be compared to our souls.
As we grow in Christ, the contents of our souls change
as we learn to purge our closets of undesirables
and keep the wardrobe that is best-fitting.
I have been reading Colossians 3 (The Message version),
and did you know that it talks about closet organizing in the Bible?
Yep. Verses 5-9:
Get rid of everything connected with the way of death:
sexual promiscuity, impurity, lust,
doing whatever you feel like whenever you feel like it,
and grabbing whatever attracts your fancy.
That's a life shaped by things and feelings instead of by God.
It's because of this kind of thing that God is about to explode in anger.
It wasn't long ago that you were doing all that stuff and not knowing any better.
But you know better now, so make sure it's all gone for good:
bad temper, irritability, meanness, profanity, dirty talk.
Don't lie to one another.
You're done with that old life.
It's like a filthy set of ill-fitting clothes you've stripped off and put in the fire.
Now you're dressed in a new wardrobe.
Every item of your new way of life is custom-made by the Creator,
with his label on it.
All the old fashions are now obsolete.
The job of organizing your closet doesn't end when you've organized your clothes.
We also keep other very important stuff in our closet:
ties, scarves, handbags, hats, belts and shoes.
The closet that we are looking at today is in a client's home.
It is an older home, therefore quirky (which I love),
so she has another, larger clothing closet to the right of this one.
This closet is mainly used for items she uses occasionally, not daily.
Ways this closet was simplified:
- Took everything OUT OF THE CLOSET and eliminated everything that wasn't worn within the past year. We were ruthless!
- Put the items back in the closet inside baskets or bins or on hooks. This is helpful, so you can just grab the basket/bin you need, and not have to dig around for something. Over-the-door hooks are excellent organizers, especially for a small closet, like this one.
- Brought in only the smallest baskets that were needed, so she wasn't tempted to fill it up with more stuff she didn't need which is why we were organizing the closet in the first place.
- Added cute label/tags tags to the sides of the baskets.
- A draw-string, just-for-dry-cleaning bag is placed on the floor.
- A lined hamper with handles is handy to take to the laundry room.
- This closet's space is limited, so for each new item put in, one item must go out.
Garden & Beach
Handbags & Scarves
Clothing care convenience:
Other pictures of this room:
I confess I need to rid my closet of the ill-fitting clothing of irritability and selfishness.
They need to be thrown out.
Which "old fashions" do you have that you need to get rid of?
Let's purge. Let's be ruthless!